Rental Assistance For
Employees of the Following Institutions
|Case Western Reserve University
||Cleveland Museum of Art
The GCL Rental Program provides one month’s rental payment up to $1,400 for employees who execute a one year lease to live in the GCL area in pre-approved rental units. This rental program is open to employees of Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, Case Western Reserve University and Cleveland Museum of Art.
The employee benefit is considered taxable income by the IRS. Employees should consult a tax advisor, as well as their Human Resources/Benefits Office.
Employee Requirements (for rental program only)
- Employee must meet eligibility requirements (please see your employer’s website or contact your benefits/human resources department for a definition of an eligible employee). Each employer has different eligibility requirements.
- Employee must provide a signed lease agreement.
- Employee must receive a written commitment from FRDC before beginning occupying the rental property. Payment will NOT be made for renters that have occupied their units prior to the date on the letter of written approval.
- Employee must occupy the rental property and it must be used as a primary residence.
- Employee will NOT receive assistance if they have not obtained a written GCL commitment PRIOR to executing a lease agreement.
- This program can only be used once. Employees cannot receive assistance more than once.
- The program can only be used by one family member per household.
- An employee is eligible to apply for the Home Purchase Program 12 months after they have received rental assistance.
Program funds are provided on a first-come, first-serve basis after all required documentation has been submitted and funding under the options in the program is dependent upon available funding for GCL.
Rental Unit Eligibility Requirements
- Rental unit must be located in the designated GCL target area. View the GCL map.
- Rental must be on list of approved rental units. Please contact GCL Program Administrator for further details.
- To determine which streets are within the designated GCL target area View the GCL map.
- Rental unit must meet City of Cleveland Building Code Standards.
- Employee must provide proof of an executed rental contract and payment of first month’s rent and security deposit.
Employee Application Process
Step 1: Determine Eligibility via Employer website or employer HR/Benefits Department.
Step 2: Complete Inquiry Form.
Step 3: View partial list of approved rental units via – University Circle Inc Website. (Please contact GCL administrator for details on approved rental units.) To determine which streets in the designated zip code area are eligible.
Step 4: Apply for Rental Program.
Step 5: Receive a Commitment for Rental Payment.
Step 6: Execute a Lease with Landlord.
Step 7: Provide necessary documentation including lease and payment of first month rent & security deposit.
Step 8: GCL Rental Payment made to owner/management company of Rental Unit.